Thursday, March 8, 2012

the play's the thing


The past three days have been spent watching plays.  Monday was She Stoops to Conquer, a really entertaining play about Victorian England.  Tuesday was Bingo, and it starred -- you guessed it -- Patrick Stewart!  He didn't actually sit in a wheelchair like Professor X or captain the Voyager, but he did play the retired Shakespeare.  The play itself was interesting (and by interesting I mean kind of weird . . .), but my favorite part of it was definitely just watching Patrick Stewart act.  He's amazing.

And not to brag or anything, but I had a front row center seat, so I was literally two feet away from him.  I could have reached out and touched his foot (or just taken a picture, both of which were definitely not allowed).  The thought definitely crossed my mind, but then I realized that I hate getting in trouble way more than the average person and I would probably be embarrassed if I got kicked out of the theater.

On Wednesday, I saw Les Miserables.  Confession: it was the third time I've seen the play, and to make things worse, my second time seeing it in London.  We'll pretend that it was because Jean Valjean was played by the understudy this time, since that's obviously so desirable, but really I just love that musical.  Every time I hear the first notes of the opening scene, I get chills.  And I probably cry through the last twenty minutes of the musical even though I already know basically word-for-word what's going to happen.  It was amazing, even the third time around.

So basically I'm getting really cultured here.  Or maybe just realizing that I'm not very cultured and supposedly "brilliant" plays/paintings/novels are just really bizarre and confusing to me.  But oh well.  I'm trying to take advantage of the theater scene here since Utah's isn't exactly world-renowned.

No comments:

Post a Comment