Thursday, March 15, 2012

bookworm

During the summer, I plan to read. I love books in any form -- novels, short stories, picture books, short books, long books, new books, old books . . . You get the point.  While I've been in London, I've had the opportunity to take English classes that focus more on reading than writing, which is really refreshing.  Some of the books are "classics" -- Sense and Sensibility and A Tale of Two Cities, for example -- while others are more contemporary, like White Teeth.  Some have really touched me, like A Tale of Two Cities did. Other books are examinations of modern society that basically are really weird.

Today was sunny and beautiful and I walked to the bookstore with one of my friends and we spent about an hour and a half there, looking at all the books and talking about what we've read and we want to read.  I didn't buy anything, but it was nice to look.  And of course, I haven't been able to resist purchasing a few books here, although I've definitely limited myself to things I couldn't just walk to Barnes and Noble and purchase.  They're not really the type of books I was talking about before -- they don't tell a story or anything.  Basically they're just pretty and I love them.  I'm proud of my finds -- the first one is a Victorian flower book.  Anyone who knows me probably knows that I'm a little bit obsessed with flowers (especially John, who's so good at making sure that flowers and I cross paths often.  Sorry I can't love something cheaper!) :) I don't actually know what I'm going to do with it, but it was so pretty and it looks kind of vintage-y and I couldn't resist.  The second one is a fold-out, pop-out book of famous London landmarks (if it can actually be called a book.  I'm technically not sure what it is).  They're both interesting and I couldn't walk away without buying them.

Hopefully I can avoid book sellers from now on (especially at Camden Market, where they have entire stores dedicated to vintage books -- they're so beautiful!  Every time I walk by I imagine having shelves and shelves of old leather books . . .  I need to stop).  I can't wait for summer so I'll hopefully have a little more time to read.

"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island."
--Walt Disney.  What a smart guy.


No comments:

Post a Comment