Saturday, January 7, 2012

trafalgar square, piccadilly, & covent gardens

Today I woke up at 5:00 and couldn't fall back asleep, so I got up and got ready.  It turns out that the guys had been awake since 4:00, so we went to breakfast.  Favorite story of the day:

While we were walking around trying to find something to eat for breakfast, we saw a couple riding their bikes and holding hands and we just thought it was kind of cute but mostly cheesy.  They stopped right in front of us, got off their bikes, and started to kiss each other goodbye (key word being started).  After about 10 seconds the guy flung his bike down - loudly and dramatically - and pulled her in closer.  I didn't know if I should laugh or just cover my eyes, so we walked away really quickly.  I thought the French were supposed to be the passionate ones?

There are tons of breakfast places in London, but none of them were open except McDonald's (and when we walked by later - around 9 - they still weren't open), so the first meal I bought here was a Sausage McMuffin.  It tasted the same as it would in the United States, but they did have some weird things on the menu (like a "Bacon Roll," which is a bun with canadian bacon and ketchup . . .) 

Later in the day we went on a walk and saw some of the sights in London.



Covent Gardens
Statue of the inventor of Sunday School
The National Gallery and Saint-Martin-in-the-Fields
Trafalgar Square (I look scary in this picture but I loved this area)
Eating chicken schwarmas for lunch

Trafalgar Square was amazing.  The architecture is beautiful and there are statues everywhere.  After we saw it we went out for lunch.  We decided to be brave and try Lebanese food.  It wasn't bad, but it turns out that here they charge you to sit down inside instead of "take away" (take out).  The menu on the outside of the restaurant was a take away menu and it said the food was about five pounds, but once you sit down inside they give you a different menu, so my little tiny lunch ended up being about nine pounds.  At least now we can say that we've tried overpriced Lebanese food.  After lunch, we went to the National Gallery of Art.  They have paintings by famous artists like Monet, Renoir, Cezanne, Degas . . . it was really amazing to see paintings I've studied before in my classes.

Our wards were assigned today and I'm going to the Mitcham Ward with two other girls.  I think I'll miss being able to drive for 30 seconds to get to my church building.  Here, I have to catch the tube in order to catch a train in order to catch a tram and then after that walk for a while.  The directions say that the ward meets in the back of what looks like an old house.  Hopefully the area isn't just a neighborhood of old houses because they didn't give us an address.  I won't wear my high heels just in case.

And most importantly . . . 
Someone is turning 13 today! Happy birthday Rachael. I'm sorry I can't be there, but I hope you have a great first day of being a teenager.


No comments:

Post a Comment