Tuesday, January 10, 2012

the tower of london

Going to church on Sunday was an adventure.  We took the tube to another tube station then to the train station where we caught the train then after that we rode the tram.  

Tube. Train. Tram.  

Then we walked because, of course, we're in London and all we actually do is walk.  Going to my ward was a cultural experience.  Most everyone is African and I can't pronounce any of their names.  I got called to be a primary teacher for the CTR class (ages 4-7, I think).  I'm not totally sure I can control them so next Sunday might be an experience.  Let's just say they had more energy than I've ever had in my entire life up to this point.  If I can at least get them to sit in their seats - say nothing about listen to the lesson or be quiet the whole time - I'll be happy.  I've also learned already that I shouldn't bother to do my hair before church because once I get there the little girls are intrigued by it and play with it and mess it up anyway.

On Monday I had my first experience with pickpocketing.  Imagine having an oyster card (basically a pass that lets me ride the tube for a month) for a grand total of maybe five hours and then realizing it's been stolen.  Fun stuff.  Side note, it turns out that English construction workers should probably have the same reputation as American ones.  Every time I walk by them is a new experience.

Today we visited the Tower of London.  I was very impressed.

There are crows all over the grounds.  Supposedly there's some legend that says that if the crows ever leave, England will fall.  I guess they take matters into their own hands around here because they clip the crows' wings.  Good thinking, England.

And most importantly, we saw the Crown Jewels.  They don't allow cameras in there so I didn't get any pictures, but they were amazing.  And it turns out that some of the crowns are around five pounds, so it's no wonder that in the pictures Queen Elizabeth looks like she can't hold her head up.

2 comments:

  1. What is the man on the horse made of? It looks like it's glass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it does look like glass but it's actually just the glare from the camera. The man is wearing metal armor and so is the horse. :)

    ReplyDelete