Sunday, January 15, 2012

goin' to the chapel . . .

I miss the days of having a church building two minutes away.  Today our journey out to the Mitcham Ward took two hours (we were half an hour late to church, so we barely caught the end of the first speaker's talk.  And when you're like the only white people in the entire ward it's kind of obvious that you're late).  Things are a little . . . different . . . here.  For example, the lady behind us burped so loud that it made me jump right in the middle of sacrament meeting.  And then in primary we talked about the Word of Wisdom and told the kids that we don't drink alcohol and the first counselor in the bishopric raised his hand and said, "I drank once."  Well thanks for that, Brother What's-Your-Name.  But overall things went pretty well.  I had to teach the four through seven year olds and it wasn't terrible.  I think that they understood what I was trying to teach them (even though one of them said, "Why can't we just play games like the Sunbeams instead of also doing that boring part where you talk?" I am the best teacher ever.  And in my defense they seemed to have fun for the most part and even told me that I could teach again next week).  I was also informed by one of the kids that some people have "white mums" and when I said that yes, my mom is white, she said, "Well that's because you're white!" So I'm just glad she clarified that for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment