Friday, February 3, 2012

the cotswolds & stratford-upon-avon


Early Wednesday we left on our first overnight trip to Stratford-upon-Avon, hometown of Shakespeare.  On the way there, we stopped in an area called the Cotswolds.  They're really picturesque, traditional English villages.  The particular village we stopped in was called Chipping Campden, and it was gorgeous.  Very green, thatched roofs, small shops . . . I was in heaven.  Later we arrived in Stratford and toured Anne Hathaway's Cottage, the Shakespeare Birthplace Museum, and Trinity Church, where Shakespeare is buried.  That night the group split up between three bed and breakfasts.  I stayed in one called Aidan House.  The woman who runs it has three kids and two cats (one of them is named Tillie. How English).  She also did call her four-year-old "sausage" as a pet name once while we were there.  It was somehow cute but I'm personally glad that I never got compared to artery-clogging meat, even with all the affection in the world.  The B&B was so quaint and I got my own room and bathroom.  I had no idea how much I needed that until I got a night to myself.  I've never appreciated having my own room so much.  The quiet was just what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment